Saturday, September 5, 2009

the balance of two loves.


so i was talking to my chef the other day about relationships, and he mentioned in passing that hes been divorced and cheated on however many girlfriends because his true love has always been the food. His said this mind you, in front of our pastry chef, his wife. He says you have to have a love affair with food. where i dont debate his idea that food is life, i do debate that a love of the food automatically means one cant love anything equally.

As a few of you may know, the typical life of a cook is ruled by extremes, hellish work-followed by excess of reward, be it alchohol, "illicit substances" or multitudes of less than classy, scantily clad women. With that said, i cant say that it isnt justifiable, this life isnt an easy one, in the least. Its long and hard and the fuckers who do it, and voluntarily have some peenchey cahones to do so.

But my point is this, i'm of the believe that there can be a balance between more than on love. I just recently got into a serious relationship with a girl whos never been in one with a guy in foodservice. When we started dating i basically said "im a degenerate son of a bitch, with a limited moral compass and no respect for authority... really, im a horrible person." I prefaced myself with that just because i know how i am, and i know my life. i'll love her till the day that i die but the fact is, as i often tell her..."I'm a cook". I let that qoute explain alot of my rediculous behavior and generally its takin pretty well considering the bullshit i spew. whether im currently in the kitchen or not, i am by nature hostile, tough, insensitve and hellbent. at least to everyone but her. My sense of humor is less than socially acceptable and i get extremely involved in all my interests. cooking and her being the top to of these.

---the real question of this bit is that i did while i did say top two, i believe my passion for each of them can be equal, ive seen to many a grill man end a relationship because he felt he couldnt devote his life to both-

i dont think it has to be that way. at all. i think the love for each can play off of each other and strenthen the love of each other. what do you guys think? HMMM???

No comments:

Post a Comment